The List: Summer Black, Cult Italian Bags, Chic Gifts for Summer Houses, and Bougie Banana Bread
Plus, a playlist that tempers the heat.
While white is anthemic come summer, I move to make summer black a thing, too. It’s sexy, hides smears and sweaty sins, and sets off a suntan just as nicely as its blanc counterpart. Even the utilitarian, slouchy black nylon pieces from The Row feel summery to me right now.
2. Maybe it was the humdrum doldrums of isolation or all the buzz about the hedonism-as-wellness “Night Luxe” aesthetic, but “post”-pandemic dressing demands a touch of something festive. I’m keeping a keen eye for glinty pieces like Paco Rabanne’s metal bags, hints of sparkle on buttons and finishes, and diamante details that make my outfit stand up and say hello. Balanced with classic shapes and textures, the sparkle that used to feel like “too much”, today, simply feels finished.
3. Hello, Editors! I know you’re reading. Easy story idea for you: can we get some newsletter roundups? Substack is the cool thing now, haven’t you heard? I would love to discover some new reads in the fashion and beauty categories (ily Blackbird Spylane but I need some fresh blood). To get you started, I like The Unpublishable, Fwd Joy, and The Nat Note. Please include The Love List in your stories, shameless plug, please and thank you!
4. Banana bread, a thing I usually despise, is actually capable of being delicious! Who knew? Instead of dry, crumbly crud full of dreaded nuts and raisins, may I offer up this Allison Roman recipe? The cocoa made it an immediate yes for me. Immediate! But last Sunday, I had five overripe bananas, no cocoa, and absolutely zero desire to go to the grocery store. What I did have: Sakara’s Metabolism powder, undoubtedly a leftover from a P.R. mailer, which is very heavy on the cocoa. So I subbed it! And it was delicious! 10/10 highly recommend it. I also swapped the flour for Gluten-Free Cup 4 Cup, and the marscapone for greek yogurt. I am now a recipe developer. Sakara, call me!
5. Cultish lines I’m eyeing lately: Serapian and Savette, both out of Italy, for timeless investment bags. Savette, in particular, has a Hermes-esque look for significantly less dough.
6. Summer house guest? If you’re looking to give good gift, these jumbo playing cards from Haas Brothers x L’Objet would thrill any game night enthusiast. For your friend with a chic outdoor space, Diptyque’s Citronnelle scent (a special label illustrated by Luke Edward Hall makes it special) wafts mosquito-deterring Lemongrass fragrance without the acrid scent of Off brand. (Add the matching body spray to take it over the top.) If your hostess is anything like me, a pesto-maker who rises early on summer Saturdays to get the best bunches of basil from the farmer’s market, perhaps a special perfume evocative of the herb’s peppery scent. And if you’ve got a bridal or lingerie shower on your calendar, I love Dora Larsen’s cheerful sets — they’re sexy, but not vulgar, lest you make the MIL-to-be blush.
7. Tiktok has declared these specific socks “that girl” socks. I got some. I love them. I get it. They’re the perfect height. Also from Tiktok, if you’d like to upgrade your Olaplex bun, this styling creme paired with a boar’s hair brush will get you that slicked-back look while still nourishing your locks.